In this article we guide you with basic steps to install and configure Zimbra Collaboration Suite using Open Source Edition with single server installation where all the three components are installed on one server which includes Zimbra MTA, Zimbra LDAP server and Zimbra mailbox server with no additional manual configurations as its build only for Zimbra application suite. This article we are using zimbra collaboration 8.6 open source edition single server installation.
Basic requirements and resources
- To install Zimbra server we cannot have any other web server, database or MTA services running on it.
- DNS A record with fully qualified domain name must be configured to resolve host name
- MX record to route message to mail server
- Firewall should be disabled or to be allowed for all zimbra ports.
Prepared CentOS 7 for Zimbra
1) Login as a root user on CentOS-7
2) Enter the fully qualified domain name in host file.
# vi /etc/hosts 27.147.136.x zmail.uniglory-bd.com zmail
3) Disable SELINUX and Firewall
# vi /etc/sysconfig/selinux SELINUX=disabled
To stop and disable firewalld, run following commands as root:
#systemctl stop firewalld #systemctl disable firewalld
4) Check the status of web, database and MTA services to Stop and Disable
#systemctl stop httpd #systemctl disable httpd #systemctl stop mysqld #systemctl disable mysqld #systemctl stop postfix #systemctl disable postfix #systemctl stop sendmail #systemctl disable sendmail
5) Update your system to upgrade all CentOS system software to the latest version.
6) Now before starting the installation script make sure to confirm that its required dependencies are installed. Without required dependencies installation process will not run. We can install the following required dependencies by using below yum command.
# yum install nptl nmap-ncat sudo-1.8.6p7-13 libidn-1.28-3 gmp-6.0.0-11 libaio-0.3.109-12 gmp-6.0.0-11 libaio-0.3.109-12 libstdc++-4.8.3-9 unzip-6.0-13 perl-core perl-5.16.3 sysstat sqlite
Begin Installation of ZCS Open Source Edition
1) Create a new directory and download the latest Zimbra Collaboration Open Source Edition Suite.
#mkdir /backup #cd /backup backup]# wget https://files.zimbra.com/downloads/8.6.0_GA/zcs-8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL7_64.20141215151110.tgz
2) Extract “zcs-8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL7_64.20141215151110.tgz” package in same /backup directory
backup]# tar zxvf zcs-8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL7_64.20141215151110.tgz
3) Now change the directory to ZCS and start the installation script using below command
[root@zmail backup]# cd zcs-8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL7_64.20141215151110/ [root@zmail zcs-8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL7_64.20141215151110]# ./install.sh --platform-override
We are using ‘–platform-override‘ option in above command because installation script is only for Redhat Linux but we are installing on CentOS 7 machine so to override the Platform condition we are using this option. When we execute the above command we will get below output and follow the instructions :
Operations logged to /tmp/install.log.2570 Checking for existing installation... zimbra-ldap...NOT FOUND zimbra-logger...NOT FOUND zimbra-mta...NOT FOUND zimbra-snmp...NOT FOUND zimbra-store...NOT FOUND zimbra-apache...NOT FOUND zimbra-spell...NOT FOUND zimbra-convertd...NOT FOUND zimbra-memcached...NOT FOUND zimbra-proxy...NOT FOUND zimbra-archiving...NOT FOUND zimbra-cluster...NOT FOUND zimbra-core...NOT FOUND PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE. ZIMBRA, INC.. License Terms for the Zimbra Collaboration Suite: http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra_public_eula_2.1.html Do you agree with the terms of the software license agreement? [N] Y Do you agree with the terms of the software license agreement? [N] Y License Terms for the Zimbra Collaboration Suite: http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra_public_eula_2.1.html Do you agree with the terms of the software license agreement? [N] Y Do you agree with the terms of the software license agreement? [N] Y
4) Press “Y” to accept the License Agreement.
Now the system will check for prerequiesites
Checking for prerequisites... FOUND: NPTL FOUND: nc-1.84-22 FOUND: sudo-1.8.6p3-12 FOUND: libidn-1.18-2 FOUND: gmp-4.3.1-7 FOUND: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 Checking for suggested prerequisites... FOUND: perl-5.10.1 FOUND: sysstat FOUND: sqlite Prerequisite check complete. Checking for installable packages Found zimbra-core Found zimbra-ldap Found zimbra-logger Found zimbra-mta Found zimbra-snmp Found zimbra-store Found zimbra-apache Found zimbra-spell Found zimbra-memcached Found zimbra-proxy Select the packages to install Install zimbra-ldap [Y] Y Install zimbra-logger [Y] Y Install zimbra-mta [Y] Y Install zimbra-snmp [Y] Y Install zimbra-store [Y] Y Install zimbra-apache [Y] Y Install zimbra-spell [Y] Y Install zimbra-memcached [N] Y Install zimbra-proxy [N] Y Checking required space for zimbra-core Checking space for zimbra-store Installing: zimbra-core zimbra-ldap zimbra-logger zimbra-mta zimbra-snmp zimbra-store zimbra-apache zimbra-spell zimbra-memcached zimbra-proxy
5) Press “Y” to install all the required packages and “N” for the rest that we don’t want to install.
6) Now press “Y” to continue after that system will be modified with the above selected installation packages.
The system will be modified. Continue? [N] Y Removing /opt/zimbra Removing zimbra crontab entry...done. Cleaning up zimbra init scripts...done. Cleaning up /etc/ld.so.conf...done. Cleaning up /etc/security/limits.conf...done. Finished removing Zimbra Collaboration Server. Installing packages zimbra-core......zimbra-core-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-ldap......zimbra-ldap-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-logger......zimbra-logger-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-mta......zimbra-mta-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-snmp......zimbra-snmp-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-store......zimbra-store-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-apache......zimbra-apache-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-spell......zimbra-spell-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-memcached......zimbra-memcached-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done zimbra-proxy......zimbra-proxy-8.0.4_GA_5737.RHEL6_64-20130524120036.x86_64.rpm...done Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.12152013-081656.log Installing LDAP configuration database...done. Setting defaults...
7) During the installation process it might gives DNS error to change hostname which should be resolvable.
Press “Y” to change domain name
DNS ERROR resolving MX for zimbra.nextstep4itmail.com It is suggested that the domain name have an MX record configured in DNS Change domain name? [Yes] Yes Create domain: [zmail.uniglory-bd.com] uniglory-bd.com MX: zmail.uniglory-bd.com (27.147.136.x) Interface: 27.147.136.x Interface: 2a00:1a48:7807:102:c7d4:45f6:ff08:2209 Interface: 127.0.0.1 Interface: ::1 done.
Next you will come to the Main Menu which will show your configuration. Select #3 then change the Admin Password under option #4 next hit r to go back.
*** CONFIGURATION COMPLETE - press 'a' to apply Select from menu, or press 'a' to apply config (? - help) a Save configuration data to a file? [Yes] Yes Save config in file: [/opt/zimbra/config.10975] Saving config in /opt/zimbra/config.10975...done. The system will be modified - continue? [No] Yes Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.12152013-081656.log Setting local config values...
8) Now to apply all the change press “a” then press “YES” to save the configuration data to a new file and type “YES” to continue system modifications.
The setup will take few minutes to implement all configuration changes, after configurations completion notice press “Enter” to exit.
Now do the following steps to run the server properly
1) Restart Crond service and Enable it to start automatically
#systemctl enable crond #systemctl restart crond
2) Go to rsyslog.conf file and uncomment the below two lines under UDP syslog reception
#vi /etc/rsyslog.conf Uncomment these two lines $modload imupd $UDPServerRun514
3) Restart the rsyslogd service and enable it permanently
#systemctl enable rsyslog #systemctl restart rsyslog
4) Now run following command to Update /etc/rsyslog.conf
5) Now go to zimbra user account and execute following two commands and then restart Zimbra services
#su – zimbra $ zmupdateauthkeys Updating keys for zmail.uniglory-bd.com Fetching key for zmail.uniglory-bd.com Updating keys for zmail.uniglory-bd.com Updating /opt/zimbra/.ssh/authorized_keys
$zmcontrol restart $zmcontrol status
Now let’s open any of your favourite web browser to access Zimbra Administration Console using the configured Zimbra domain name or IP with user admin and password same as setup in the script:
Congratulations! Zimbra Collaboration Suite has been setup successfully with Open Source Edition using Single Server Installation.
Zimbra Collaboration Open Source Edition provides great features for administration and to the end users. It has an excellent ‘web’ version. Many people find it their favorite way to use email after trying it for awhile, even if they were used to another program like Outlook or Thunderbird other than its features like a calendar and task function to help coordinate schedules and plan meetings etc.